Monday, August 13, 2012

driving miss daisy

It has recently come to my attention that I might be an old lady trapped in an impossibly hip young body.  Yes, my friends.  I must have fooled you big time.  The boyfriend seems to think that my slow driving qualifies me for the senior discount at the movie theater.

So I got to thinking...and I found myself equally divided between cool twentysomething and Rose from the Golden Girls.  (Which, if you ask me, only adds to my charm.)

Please take this little quiz to determine if you, too, are an old lady:

1.  Do you drive too slow?
2.  Do you find Grumpier Old Men, Diagnosis Murder and Monk to be entertaining?
3.  Do you bruise easily and find yourself wildly uncoordinated?
4.  Do you like to knit?
5.  Do you know the word fiddlesticks or have ever used it in conversation?
6.  Do you yell the answers to Jeopardy at the televison?
7.  Do you enjoy a good cardigan to keep the evening chill at bay?
8.  Do you have a few spry and stubborn gray hairs?
9.  Do you need glasses or contacts for just about every activity?
10.  Do you find bran muffins a yummy breakfast treat?

Did you answer YES to most of these questions?  Well, then.  Thank your Grandma for the tips and join me at the Early Bird Special.

It's the pits being old.  And so are my peaches.  I stopped to pick up a basket yesterday from a local stand and by golly those things aren't ripe yet!  Patience is not one of my stronger virtues (point for the hip young person) so waiting for peaches is practically torture.  Especially when all of the recipes I want to make involve them.  Like Peach Pie.  Peach Ice Cream.  Peach Crumble.  Mmmmmmmm.....

I got so dang hungry thinking that I went to the kitchen so that I could make something...anything...to make me feel better about being elderly.  I haven't been to the grocery store in a few days so I prepared to improvise.  And what did I come up with?  Lemon Poppy Seed Muffins.  Definitely not hip.  Do the young people today even say hip?  Just put me on The Golden Girls already!

Poppin' Poppy Seed Muffins



These muffins are SO tasty!  They are light, lemony and M WORD. 
 So good, in fact, that I ate three.  
Waste not, want not, people.  


Now, I'm going to go rip a napkin in half and eat one more of these muffins.  Cause half a napkin means saving money ... cause we're in the depression ... I mean a recesssion ... nevermind.

Fiddlesticks!

Where's my Metamucil?

xo,
the unsolicited baker



 


1 comment:

  1. I loved this post!! I have been told countless times that I am an "old soul" trapped in a younger body. Apparently, that is supposed to make sense. :) But, I can think of few things as enjoyable as a good cardigan and saying the word "fiddlesticks." :)

    ReplyDelete